Incontinence products for the elderly
Urinary incontinence is one of the most common health problems in the elderly and is characterized by the involuntary loss of urine frequently, to the point that it becomes a reason for social isolation and loss of self-esteem.
Sometimes it is a disease in itself, but in many others it is a symptom associated with different diseases. It is estimated that this is a problem suffered to a greater or lesser extent between 10 and 30% of people over 65 years, being more frequent in women than in men, and 60% of those over 80.
Causes of urinary incontinence
The causes of incontinence can be very diverse:
- Disorders or obstruction of the urinary system.
- Neurological or cerebral problems.
- Dementia or cognitive impairment (the patient does not have the capacity to recognize or respond to the urge to urinate).
- Neuromuscular disorders.
- Neurodegenerative diseases.
- Follow a treatment with certain medications (diuretics, antidepressants, etc.)
- Disorders of the prostate (infection or BPH)
- Severe constipation (the fecal bolus presses on the bladder).
- Bladder cancer.
- Bladder spasms.
- Pelvic prolapse.
- Spinal injuries.
- Weakness of the sphincter muscles of the bladder.
Urinary incontinence is classified as follows:
Incontinence for urgency: the involuntary loss of urine occurs immediately after having had an uncontrollable desire to urinate.
Incontinence for effort: the loss of urine occurs as a result of an abdominal effort, such as that which occurs when coughing, laughing, waking up, sneezing, and so on.
Mixed incontinence: the two previous situations occur simultaneously.
Incontinence without perception of the desire to urinate: it’s frequent in sick and very old people. They do not perceive that they want to urinate and therefore do not control the sphincter.
When to go to the doctor
It is very common that people who have involuntary losses of urine do not consult with the doctor, mainly because of shame. However, it must be done in the following situations:
- When there are involuntary losses of urine a few times in a row.
- There is a continuous leak of urine.
- There is an urgent or frequent need to urinate.
- Despite having the urge to urinate frequently, little amount is voided.
- You have the feeling of having a full bladder after urinating.
- There are difficulties to start urination.
- The urine is cloudy or has traces of blood.
- It feels pain or burning urination.
- When involuntary loss of urine is associated with symptoms of cognitive impairment (mild memory problems, etc.)
- Medications that can cause incontinence are taken (do not leave them until the doctor tells you).
- Urinary incontinence should not be considered as something inevitable and proper to aging. The causes can be very different and it is possible that it is the symptom of an underlying disease, so it is essential to always consult with the doctor.
Along with medical diagnoses and treatments, you should also resort to solutions in products that can help in each situation.
If the person suffering from urinary incontinence has episodes during the night or is bedridden, it is recommended to use incontinence panties or mattress protectors.
Panties or pads can be adapted to a bed, sofa or wheelchair, allowing them not to be damaged due to the patient’s urination.
Some products can be washable or disposable, adaptable to user tastes. You also have different sizes, depending on the area where you want to use it, and level of absorption.
Este dispositivo solo puede ser usado en cama, se adapta a las dimensiones del mismo y presenta unas características especiales que facilitan la absorción para proteger el colchón y, al mismo tiempo, el sueño del paciente para que no se encuentre en contacto con bacterias.
This product can only be used in bed, adapts to the dimensions of it and has special features that facilitate absorption to protect the mattress and, at the same time, the patient’s sleep so that it is not in contact with bacteria.
Incontinence clothes are the most commonly used option, they can be combined with soaps and mattress protectors.
Panties for adults have a design more similar to the underwear than to the conventional children pants. Recommended for both elderly and bigger children who suffer from incontinence
This type of underwear fulfills the function of serving as a barrier between conventional diapers and outer clothing. So it prevents the diaper from moving and staying in place to prevent leakage. An option of greater protection
the bloomers, reinforced to avoid leaks thanks to its design of leg with double reinforcement.
For women who are facing this uncomfortable situation, there are some comfortable tampons that prevent the loss of urine naturally and is much more discreet than traditional pads.
Traditional pads are also an option and can be the most advisable in the face of small losses. You love options, compresses and tampons, they are two perfect Boptions so that it is not at all evident that they are seen with the clothes on top.
Pessaries are devices that are designed for each gender, although their function is the same: press the area so that the leakage of urine does not starts.
It can have the form of a ring, cube or any other shape and is adapted to the anatomy of the intimate area. This way the device can be inserted easily, without damaging the area and allowing drainage to calmly urinate. Existing three levels of urethral prolapse: mild, normal and severe. It is recommended that you contact your doctor before deciding to use this option.
They are simpler than the female ones and allow urine to not escape unintentionally. This happens thanks to a small pressure that keeps the urethra closed. Press gently so it is not unpleasant and uncomfortable.
Pelvic floor strengtheners
Women can combat this situation through some exercises. This allows them to strengthen the vaginal area and not urinate involuntarily. The patient can opt for strengthening cones, spheres or electro stimulators with special programs for this problem.
All the products that are mentioned can be found on amazon or on our catalog which guarantees the delivery and return in case of not fulfilling the expectations